Renovation of Caffé Italia
House No. 604/I, so called Týn School, is situated at the corner of the Old Town Square and Týnská Street. Originally there used to be two separate buildings. The first documentary evidence dates back to 1359 and 1363. After 1407 the above stated buildings were connected to one building. Their fundamental foundations are however older than stated in historical documents – cellars and part of an arcade date back to the 2nd half of the 13th century.
Walled up portal drew attention in cellar premises, where the restaurant CAFFÉ ITALIA is situated. That suggested that behind the portal towards the Týn Church other historical premises could be hidden. So in 2005 the wall was taken to parts in cooperation with the premises renter and conservationists and another covered basement area was discovered. Its origin dates back to the late 13th century. It was possibly covered in the 17th century.
In support of the Prague City Hall, Operating Programme Prague – Competitiveness, which within the project Increasing of attractiveness of a business atmosphere in the listed area allocated funds to the investor for this project from EU structural funds. Long-term preparations reached the final phase at the end of 2008. Clearing-out of the filling and renovation of uncovered premises began under the professional supervision of an archaeologist PhDr.Zdeněk Dragoun from Archaeological Department of Prague workplace of the National Institute for Conservation.
A relatively wide cellar was uncovered with a portal in the eastern wall and an interior staircase attached to it. The eastern wall was equipped with a ventilation window and a couple of shelf coping niches. Relics of a wooden beam ceiling were found in enclosure walls. This is very unique for Prague cellars because they used to have a stone vault. The state of preserved walls shows that they were made in one construction phase and presents non-rebuilt interior from the 13th century until its covering. Entrance space had more complicated development. It was additionally renovated to a relatively separated smallish room. Even ashlar masonry was found in these premises, which could be a part of an older, Romance, stone building of a neighbouring plot.
Premises have been opened to a general public since this March. On the basis of advance reservation you can book even educational excursions for schools or other organizations. Project documents, drawing EU donations, were processed by the company: Grant Consulting – granty-dotace.cz. Renovation of the premises took place under the financial support of EU – European fund for regional development of the city Prague and co-financed by European Union Fund ERDF.
The name of the fund: OPERATING PROGRAMME PRAGUE
The name of the project: INCREASING OF ATTRACTIVENESS OF A BUSINESS ATMOSPHERE IN THE LISTED AREA
Schedule of realization: 11/08 – 3/09